Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Cutest DIY Onesie Tutorial EVER

I am a novice sewer. I taught myself how to sew via YouTube, believe it or not. I have been sewing for a living for a year now. I am still struggling to find a full time job but employment in my field of expertise is few and far between, whereas it was prolific back when I got my college degree. :(

I  finally tackled the giant undertaking of making a onesie. It's a giant undertaking because onesies have to be stretchy (so one has to cut on the fabric bias, taking A LOT more fabric to make one). Cutting on the bias means you cut ACROSS the fabric, no straight up or down....like cutting in an angle. Onesies have to have those crazy fold over necklines. I suck ass when it comes to necklines and arm holes even in the simplest formats! ARG.

I actually made a onesie a human baby can wear though. I am sooooo proud of myself!

I might even be as cool as my sisters, who simply blink and a baby outfit appears in their hands....like some sort of sewing genies!!

I took the pattern from this site.Omi Creates has a very easy tutorial but I think one has to be more experienced to know how to do the neckline and do the binding too.

I didn't have enough knit fabric so I made mine with cotton fabric. I only use quilting quality, the best cotton fabric that costs more of course.

I used white ribbon to bind the neckline too. I just like the appearance. However, I am gonna experiment with other types of binding materials. I haven't found a binding material or technique I am in love with yet! :(

Here are pictures of my little son wearing the onesie I made. It is with monster alphabet printed design. I LOVE it because it has the bright, summer colors in the print while still having a dark background. I just love darker colors on boys because they stain and tear up EVERYTHING!

Enjoy! By the way, you can buy this onesie I made at my Far Out Sprouts Shop.....very affordably priced!




2 comments:

  1. Try this again. It is really cute. I'll show you sometime how to do easy armholes. It is sooooo much easier.....can be used for necklines too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks momma! Maybe you can teach me in August when you meet my fiance'!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Commenting makes you more attractive/cuter ;)


My fiance and me

My boys